Monday, May 09, 2005

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one

During the lifetime of the Lubvitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, of blessed memory, there was a faction which belived that he was the messiah. After his death in 1994, this faction did not disappear, and the Chabad movement is still dealing with the fallout. Many of them believe that he is the messiah despite his death, or believe that he did not really die. There are many ways in which the Chabad messianists understand his death, and it is not my intention to get into those here. The fact that they did not give up their belief with his death makes perfect sense, and fits into the history of past messianic movements in Judaism. However, Tzemach Atlas pointed me to a series of articles which I simply don't understand. I am tempted to think that they are a joke, but I'm just not sure. Below are links, with translations of the relevent portions.
The first says, "As for two weeks dollars were not given out, (because of the first and last days of Passover)today, after the morning prayers,the Rebbe, the messiah, may he have a long and prosperous life, gave out dollars, in order that they be given to charity..." It goes on to discuss whom the dollars were given to.
The second says, "At the end of the of the holy gathering of the Rebbe, the messiah, may he have a long and prosperous life, two youths merited to recieve bottles of vodka from the Rebbe, the messiah, may he have a long and prosperous life... They received the bottles from his holy hands after he had poured from his own cup into the bottles."
The third says, "After the last day of Passover... the Rebbe, the messiah, may he have a long and prosperous life, made the blessing signifying the end of the holiday over a cup of wine, and then distributed the wine from the blessed cup to those assembled."
The truly baffling thing about these posts to me is that they attribute actions to the Rebbe OBM which he simply could not perform, being dead. Not only that, but they post pictures of it. In the picture of the Rebbe giving dollars, the Rebbe is not there. In the picture of the Rebbe making havdalah, he isn't there either. I just don't understand what these people are thinking. When they said that he "poured from his cup into the bottles," did they see somebody do it? What kind of ritual took place? I am baffled and disturbed.

NOTE: This is not something that is bought into by the entire Chabad movement. I do not know how pervasive it is, but not all of them are crazy, and not all of the crazies are this crazy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

on a totally unrelated note, i memorized the first couple of stanzas of Kubla Khan last night for an exam today, and i have you to thank for the idea

i remember this pretty clearly, it was in that forum thingie at schechter's library - you tried your damndest to explain the poem to me - that it had this massive underlying meaning clouded by the fact that Coleridge was out of his mind on opium. I didn't get it, and it bothered me.

i still kind of don't get it, and it bothered me enough to make me memorize it.

to sum up, hi! glad to see you back on the web, if not in person

10:29 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I believe this might help to clarify your confusion, at least a little bit. It's not a joke. The post of interest is "It's Self Service these Days."

1:14 PM  
Blogger Jesse A. said...

It doesn't really help clarify the confusion. Frankly, of the three articles, the one about dollars actually makes the most sense to me. But the one that says the Rebbe made Havdalah? Or poured from his cup? These I'm very unclear on.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home