Monday, February 07, 2005

When it rains, it pours

The Patriots just won themselves another Super Bowl. It's odd how it doesn't get old. I've had my teams win 3 championships in the span of about a year and every time, I get the same little rush. Nothing compares to the Red Sox, of course, but these Patriots' Super Bowl wins.... Here's the thing. You commit to a team, a group of guys. You follow them, as they win, lose and struggle over the course of a season or a few seasons or a lifetime. You get emotionally involved with their success, even though it's completely irrelevant to your real life. Then they win, and you go nuts. It's a funny thing, they way I get caught up in sports. I do enjoy watching them, I like athletic competition, but following a team doesn't have a whole lot to do with that. I know a girl who doesn't know, or care, anything about baseball (though she pretends that she does), but she cried when the Sox lost game 7 of the ALCS in 2003. And it was sincere. The level of emotion that I commit to my sports teams is vastly out of proportion to their actual importance. In any case, there are two real points I want to make here. The first is: TOTAL PATRIOTS DOMINATION!!! And the second is that pitchers and catchers report in 10 days. Who can complain?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jesse A. said...

Wouldn't bother me at all. I've been known to work to keep a score from myself to watch a taped game several hours after the fact. A few seconds doesn't make a difference at all. Why?

Jesse A.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home