Friday, June 04, 2004

Something

Entry number two in my series on The Beatles.

Frank Sinatra, notorious for his hatred of Rock'n'Roll called Something "the best love song in the past 50 years." I'm going to go even farther and call it the best pop love song ever written. Certainly the best I know. Lyrically, of course, the song is simple. The fact that he can't pin down why he loves her is true to life, I think. Do we ever really know why we're interested in another person? Most of the time I can only walk around it. There's just "Something in the way she moves..." Musically there's alot going on. It's a very dense song, there isn't much space, but its deceptive because it feels very straighforward. What always grabs me is the drumming. Its very tight and precise. For that reason, I always thought that Paul drummed on the track. I couldn't beleive that Ringo had that much discipline. But it is Ringo. There are several layers, the drums and vocals on top, the guitar next, then the bass and strings. The bass in particular is very subtle and very beautiful. This song is peak of George Harrison's creative genious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home