Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Dancing for souls

In Harvard Square today a friend of mine and I saw a troupe of dancers. There was nothing unusual about this in and of itself, there are often street performers in the square. What was strange was that these were missionizing dancers. When my friend and I spoke to them afterwards, one said, "We're on a mission from Texas to show how much Jesus can help you." This strikes me as a particularly strange way to spread the Gospel. The dance was very cryptic, though the basic structure made it clear that it was a story of trials and redemption. The story, as explained to us by the dancers, is that of the creation of a man and a woman and their temptation first by drugs/anger, then by sex and then by sorcery and their final redemption by God/Jesus. It was very difficult to follow, though it was interesting to watch. It was simply so far out that it didn't have any real emotional effect. It's main acheivement was stimulating curiousity. While the show's meaning was explained clearly enough after I asked, I don't know if that is enough to "show how much Jesus loves you." The Jesus idea is such a powerful one, I don't think that intellectual curiousity is enough to bring people in. Do they get many converts? I suppose I should have asked. Really, I'm just talking off the cuff here. As an Orthodox Jew who has no truck with Jesus, I have never experienced anything stronger than intellectual curiousity towards him. Do any of my readers have anything to share?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that would be the logical conclusion to your line of reasoning. However, two things could happen. One, she could make the first move. K, maybe that's a long shot, but it could happen. Second, I think that eventually somebody will come along in your life for whom the reward far outweighs the risk, even though the risk may be huge.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Jesse A. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Jesse A. said...

I think that last comment was supposed to be on the post "Would you tell the lesbian that you love her?" If you want to recomment over there, I can delete it from here. Alternatively, maybe somebody knows how to move a comment to another post.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home