Thursday, November 17, 2005

Naomi Chana asks, "what do you call Those People Religiously To The Right Of You?" In my case, I would normally say Charedi, but that doesn't help her terribly much. In a more serious vein, when discussing the term "Orthodox," she says, "Even if there weren't U.S. Jewish movements by those names, some of which live up to their names better than others, not everyone Jewishly to the right of me is more "orthodox," "conservative," or "traditional" than me IMO. In some areas, I am following one line of tradition and they another; in other areas, I feel that I am actually following an older and/or more authentic tradition." Her objection stands up, with regards to "conservative" and "traditional," however "orthodox is slightly more problematic. Without delving into Etymology (which I would guess she knows better than I do anyway) I've always understood the term Orthodox to mean adhering to a certain set dogma. This is a problematic term in Judaism, for a whole slew of reasons, which is why 1) you don't really find an orthodoxy in Judaism until the early-mid 19th century and 2) I generally prefer to describe myself as orthoprax, when making fine distinctions. This solves the problem of dogma, by reducing judaism to practive. But in any event, the term orthodoxy has nothing to do with adherence to tradition. Dogma could be brand new. Doesn't answer her question maybe, but I think it's an important distiction.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does "Orthodox" have any meaning independently of the way people use it?

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home