Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Beef

Since I got home about two months ago I've been watching a fair amount of Dawson's Creek which airs at 10:00 and again at 11:00 every weekday morning on TBS.  When the show was first aired, I didn't watch it at all.  I was in high school at the time and not sufficiently secure in my masculinity to watch what is, afterall, a chick show.  Since then I've grown up a bit, and now confess to having a bit of an addiction to the show.  It's appeal comes from two places, I think.  First of all, Shadenfreude.  I love watching those kids agonize through all their little crises.  Second, there is a sort of optimism at the core of the show that I like.  Sure, they whine and moan all the time and they suffer monumentally about the dumbest things, but at the end of the day, there's always that kind of hopeful debriefing where they talk about their problems and find hope.  I like that.  And it doesn't hurt that Katie Holmes is a fox.  Anyway, even though I've been enjoying Dawson's Creek these past few months, there are a few things about it that really bug me.  These are the little, dumb things that always piss me off, so if you aren't a crazy nitpicker, feel free to stop reading now.  First of all, the show takes place on Cape Cod and in Boston.  Despite this, there isn't a single character with a Massachusetts accent.  I've spent plenty of time on the Cape in my life, and let me tell you, the townies have it thick.  Second, there is a huge willow tree in Dawson's front yard.  Trees don't grow that big on Cape Cod.  I remember when I was a kid, whenever my family would go down the Cape my father would always point out the trees.  "Look how skinny they are," he'd say, "That's because the soil is so sandy."  Third, they couldn't go to Fenway?  Not once?  Come on, if you live in Boston the Red Sox are everything come fall.  Even Ally McBeal and The Practice had Fenway episodes.  Finally the ratio of booze to weed when they were in high school.  Maybe it's different on Cape Cod, but where I come from in Suburban Boston it was much easier to get marijuana than for a kid to buy beer.  It could be done,  but it was difficult.  That Pacy kid, who was a drinker in high school, would have been a stoner where I went to school.  And I doubt that it's really all that different on the Cape, particularly with this show's track record on regional accuracy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesse i too have been watching Dawson's Creek and i agree with you about all the discrepancies in the show...but i still love and have since ninth grade...
yeah i kinda suck

-malka

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home